Sunday, May 19, 2013

My Dessert Problem Do You Overeat When You're Alone - Health News and Views - Health.com

The first month of my hasn’t been easy―especially food-wise. When it comes to the fitness element, it’s much easier to step up my intensity or add an extra workout to my week. But when it comes to my eating habits, reigns supreme. I haven’t been able to turn down my favorite treats since starting my challenge. Help!

Then last week a light bulb went off in my head: Almost every time I overindulge in sweets, it’s when they are available at home in large portions, like a batch of freshly baked cookies or a pint of Malted Milk Ball Gelato. When the sweets are just sitting around, I can’t say no―and I almost always go back for seconds, or thirds!

When I dine out, I can usually talk myself out of ordering a $10 dessert―especially when I’m paying for it. I almost always enjoy an entrée and a cocktail, so it’s easy to turn down the waiter’s offer to see the dessert menu when the time comes. The act of ordering a dessert makes me stop and think, so I can decide if I really want a sweet treat at the end of the meal. At home, I don’t seem to have this time buffer to slow down my actions. I just reach for dessert without replica ballon bleu medium a second thought.

Similarly, when it comes to dinner parties or family events, I usually eat a small portion of dessert because I’m typically too embarrassed to go back for a second (or third) serving. At home there’s no one watching to see how much I eat. The embarrassment factor is gone, and since the food is available, I?feel like I have no reason to not go back for another serving. Of course, I?know that I’m consuming more calories than I need to, but the accessibility of the food doesn’t seem to affect the satisfaction of my sweet tooth.

There’s no way I will ever be able to give up dessert completely, so going forward, I’ve decided to implement a few rules to help me cartier watch box replica get my portion sizes in control:

No comments:

Post a Comment